Sunday, May 18, 2008

Perseverance

We live in an age of instant gratification…we want it all yesterday and we do not like working for it. We search in cavernous spaces for that quick fix only to be disappointed when society’s promises of losing 7 pounds in 7 days goes unfulfilled.

We blame the ease and convenience of fast food for our poor diet, and our busy work schedules and family life for living a sedentary lifestyle. We make excuses for not working out…and that’s all they are - excuses. Nothing worth achieving ever comes easy. I have spent countless hours in the gym, whether on the treadmill or in the weight room, but I’m busting my butt to fight against some not so great genetics and a past life of poor decision making when it came to nutrition.

These changes weren't easy in the beginning and the results weren’t instantaneous. It's been about developing habits and a mindset of staying focused and reminding myself of my goal.

Add to that perseverance, time and patience and the results will follow. It really is about making the right choices daily. You bet there are days where I wake up and wish I didn’t have to start my day by preparing a day’s worth of meals to lug to work with me. Why can’t I be just like other people and buy my lunch and that afternoon snack from the vending machine? Because I keep the bigger picture in mind and after muttering my complaints I remind myself of my goals and carry on. I once read a quote that said something along the lines…if you want the body that 90% of people don’t have then you have to do what 90% of people don’t do. Ouch. Better lace on those sneakers and head to the gym.

No comments: